Pages

Friday, October 5, 2012

An ambassador in chains.

"Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should." -Ephesians 6:19-20

The crazy thing about these two verses is that Paul is writing from a jail cell, not asking for them to pray about his release, but asking them to pray for his ability to speak the gospel with boldness. This proves to show that when we are experiencing hardships and troubles, when we are afflicted, it is more important to fulfill our duty of speaking the gospel with plainness than to be released from the troubles surrounding us.

Because the majority of the time, when I find myself going through difficult times, I plead with God for everything to be resolved so that life can return to being "perfect" and happy again. Rarely does it ever occur to me in the moment of extreme hardships to ask God for the ability to speak the gospel with boldness in that moment. It rarely occurs to me that I am called, in every situation, to declare His goodness, His love and His truth. Because no matter what the trial is, no matter what hardship I am facing, Jesus is still good. He is still all-powerful and merciful and nothing in this world can bring the satisfaction that comes with living in relationship with Him.

Paul is an incredible example of enduring hardships for Jesus' glory. From a prison cell, his focus was on declaring the gospel in order to complete His duty as a Christian: to be an ambassador of the gospel, to proclaim peace to a lost world.

That is my call. No matter where I'm standing or what chains are weighing me down, my prayer should be for the ability to proclaim the gospel fearlessly, for the ability to focus on bringing glory to Jesus' name.

"All this is for your benefit, so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God. Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." -2 Corinthians 4:15-18

Jesus, I pray that you would give me the ability to speak your Word fearlessly to those around me. I pray that you would help me to embrace the hardships that I am facing for your glory. I am not worthy of your goodness, of your love, but you lavish them on me anyway. Thank you, Lord, for your persistence, for teaching me new lessons every day and for your constant nearness. Soften my heart and bring me humility. You deserve all the praise. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment